Tuesday, January 13, 2009

As I progress through Vermont’s 23 things I have found that experimenting with websites and gadgets has been fun and has taken me down some pretty wonderful rabbit holes – but maintaining a Blog has not been easy at all! I cannot seem to be able to put myself out there and must write things over and over again before I post them, usually editing them down to nothing. This ‘web log’ is not exactly like the diary that I used to keep under my bed, letting my mind ‘throw up’ anything and everything onto its pages. (Ever go back years later and witness with horror what you once thought and actually wrote down!) It is frightening!

O.K. – so what are some of those 23 things that I have done but failed to blog about?
I experimented with Spell using Flickr http://metaatem.net/words/ . It was fun and the html code is provided so you can cut and paste your spelling creation into your blog/website. I put our school letters on my school website by doing this and it worked great…until I realized that only staff could see it, since each letter is really a link to Flickr and Flickr is blocked for students by our IT department! A work around is to paste the letters into Microsoft Paint, decorate and/or experiment further, save as a jpeg then upload as a picture. You can also paste the letters into PowerPoint and manipulate them there. So, here goes (html code pasted into compose window):
S Copper Uppercase Letter U S letter i E

Something for me to remember: occasionally sign on to my school website with a student sign on - so I can see what they see without staff privileges.

1 comment:

Librarian said...

Thanks for the spell flickr work around ideas - I also needed to create a jpg - I used my notebook software tools' camera to capture it into the notebook, smartboard software, and that worked... I will try the powerpoint way also to see which will be easier for the students. I have enjoyed reading your blog and watching the videos you have posted. Where is your quote of the day/week from? Thanks, ev -library802