Friday, January 23, 2009

I have been experimenting with RSS feeds and dabbling in Facebook lately. The RSS feed video from Common Craft was great - straightforward, fun to watch and they don’t talk down to you! The website http://www.commoncraft.com/ has many online videos like this to share for free and I will have to try to post on my blog and again on my website. Why not now…here’s one called Web Search Strategies in Plain English by leelefever:

I did it! All I did was cut and paste what the Common Craft people told me to!
RSS feeds were fun to get – but there are so many, I had to stop myself and become more selective. Paying attention to how often information is posted to these feeds is helpful, too – some of the weather feeds can be too frequent – compiling every 15 minutes or so, for example! I couldn’t resist getting the daily Writer’s Almanac feed – and the podcast, too. So when I am logged onto a computer where I can listen, there is Garrison Keillor’s amazing voice just for me! So much better than hoping to catch the show on the car radio! Want the link? Sure you do! http://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/
Google Reader was the easiest aggregate for me to use, since I already have gmail, and igoogle (that’s fun – you can load your page with all sorts of gadget and tools. I like the language translator, unit conversions tool and, just for fun, Hangman). One stop for everything in a click happy world!

I'll blab about Facebook in my next post!

No comments: